Sunday 27 April 2014

Top 10 Bargain Megadrive Games For Less Than £10




I've been doing a lot of tidying and clearing at home today...largely thanks again to the unpredictable British weather.
For those of you outside of the UK... it is true, and definitely NOT a rumour that we British have strange weather.
I came across my box of MegaDrive games (before I go further, the MegaDrive is known outside of Europe as the Genesis), and thought "Why not help your readers discover some good, cheap games?"
Now, I've compiled this list with 2 objectives in mind...
A) The game must be less than £10 or $16.80 for my US readers
B) It must be completely boxed with the manual
So, I done some digging around on various big retail stores such as eBay, Amazon and a couple of others to see what games I could find...I present to you below "The Top 10 MegaDrive Games For Less Than £10"....or $16.80.
P.S. This is in no particular order or rank, and the reason I've not mentioned the sites where the prices I've found are from, is in case they sell in the meantime.
Without further ado...




10. Sonic The Hedgehog
"Predictable", This is what I imagine you're probably thinking...
"How predictable that Sonic would be in this list!".
First off, I don't blame you for thinking this if you are... 9 times out of 10, when I say
"What's the first thing you think of when I say Sega" people will say
 "Sonic...I played that all my childhood"
or something along those lines.
Currently, I found this boxed with the manual online for £6.53
(Please note that you can't spin dash in the original Sonic...Grr!)
9. The Revenge Of Shinobi
Yes, it's true! you can pick up one of the greatest titles released for the MegaDrive / Genesis for a mere £7.99
Why get it? well if you're an experienced retro gamer you'll know exactly why...for those of you that are new to the retro lifestyle, it promises great fluid gameplay, great graphics and great sounds (sounds great doesn't it?).
Oh, lastly if you manage to get hold of the original 1989 release of this game you can have boss fights against Batman, Spiderman, Godzilla and The Terminator...later versions and re-releases omitted and adjusted the characters appearance to comply with the license rights.
8. Toy Story
As a huge fan of the movie series, to hear that there was a game released for the MegaDrive
(as well as SNES and PC) I thought "I must get it".
Whilst it's not as memorable and classic as other big titles, it is still a fantastic game to pick up and play, and features most of the characters from the film.
Again for a small fee of £8.53, this easily makes it's way onto the list.
The only thing that bugs me about this game? what is Buzz Lightyear's facial expression on the cover?
I guess It's probably one of those mysteries that just goes unsolved...
7. The Lion King
The Lion King is a great film...
 (I guess it's shameful to say I only watched it for the first time at age 21).
The game? also...brilliant (trying not to use the word great again).
It's got wonderful graphics, upbeat and jolly music and easy controls and follows closely to the film.
I found The Lion King at £7.99 and cannot recommend this enough...it needs to be in your collection (and mine for that matter).
One final note...watch the film if you haven't done so already!
6. Mortal Kombat
Known in the "Retro Underground" as the starter of violent video games, Mortal Kombat deserves it's place in this list.
Whilst by today's standards it is dated, back in the 90's shortly after it's release, governments around the globe were trying to completely ban or restrict the sale of this game due to it's excessive violence!
It also paved the way and strengthened the case for implementing ESRB ratings
 (US equivalent to PEGI)
But if you push this aside and want a good fighter game with fairly decent graphics,
memorable soundtracks, quotes and of course the history! then this is a game for you...
Retail price as of today £8.99
5. Greendog - The Beached Surfer Dude!
When I first got my MegaDrive, I said to a friend of mine "What games shall I get?".
His response was "GreenDog...I spent all my 18th birthday money on that game".
Sure enough, the game was memorable for my friend as he recited all the levels and the cheats codes!
Green Dog is a side scrolling adventure platformer with very colourful graphics, easy controls and is generally a typical example of a truly "fun" game.
But aside from just walking as the character, you have a skateboard, roller skates and a flying bike!
From the looks of things, it can be picked up very cheap! right now it's online at £4.58
Definitely worth a play for the cheap price...for me it's a great game to replay over again.
4. Altered Beast
Just barely squeezing in under the price limit is Altered Beast.
For many experienced retro game collectors, this is an absolute classic and in most personal collections!
So why am I recommending this to you? well, I'll start with what I believe is the best aspect of this game...you can play as different characters every time you defeat a blue wolf...not only this, but you grow bigger and stronger, which just adds constantly to the games playability!
There are 6 different characters in total: Human, Werewolf, Weredragon, Werebear, Weartiger and a Golden Werewolf.
Boss fights are also great fun in this game, but I won't say much more (for now!)
Go and grab yourself a copy at £8.90
3. Kid Chameleon
First of all, It was a struggle...a real struggle in fact to find this boxed with the manual for the set price of this blog post.
At exactly £9.98 I managed to find this (and buy it - sorry guys but it's one that I desperately needed for my collection and well...it's payday tomorrow).
Kid Chameleon is just a game that's everlastingly enjoyable!
So you're a kid named Casey, you notice that all the other kids have been playing this new VR video game in town...and disappeared.
As you discover that the games boss kidnaps any kid that can't beat the game, you decide to play and must use various masks to play as different characters in order to defeat the boss himself...
Heady Metal.
2. Jurassic Park
Released around the same time as the film, Jurassic Park made it's way as a playable
action platformer on the MegaDrive / Genesis.
You can play as either Dr Grant (played brilliantly in the film trilogy by Sam Neill) or as a Velociraptor.
Currently, the cheapest copy of the game I found was priced at £7.02 which is an absolute bargain for the complete set!
It will provide you with fun, colourful graphics and an awesome funky soundtrack.
Also, if you get chance, have a look at the TV commercial for this game...it's pretty damn cool
 (for the 90's anyway!).
1. Ecco The Dolphin
Another gem published by Sega is the first instalment of Ecco The Dolphin.
Yes, the storyline may sound ridiculous...but seriously don't let that put you off!
If you're still umming and ahhing, how about if I tell you that you can get this classic game complete for just £4.98?
It's a beautifully designed game with lovely colouring, interactive characters and (frustrating as hell) big level maps.
Alright so if you're new you're probably wondering what's the storyline, or what do you do as a dolphin?
Well...here's the gist of the plot:
You're a bottlenose dolphin, who travels through time and battles aliens in the ocean and on their spacecraft all to protect and save earth.
No, I'm not making that up, and despite it sounding ridiculous...it's a true classic and remains to this day...a fantastic game!

No comments: